Adding your favorite Search Engine to FF2 & IE7
As I was trying out the new Internet Explorer 7, I was trying to see whether I could add one of my favorite search engines (the superb Leo english-german online dictionary) to the search bar, as I was able to do with Firefox 2.
This is how I got to add the Leo search engine in FF2:
- In the Search drop-down list, click Manage Search Engines.
- In the following dialog box, click Get more search engines....
- In the Web page that appears next, click Browse through more search engines at mycroft.mozdev.org.
- In the search box, enter 'Leo', and then click Search.
- Click the language you would like to use (I picked de<->en).
- The following dialog box appears:
Click Add (check Start using it right away to make this your default search engine). My Leo search engine has now been added:
Internet Explorer 7 does not have the search engine Leo available. However, it uses fascinating technology to add any search engine you can think of yourself!
To add the Leo search engine to IE7, do the following:
- In the Search drop-down list, choose Find more providers. The Add Search Providers to Internet Explorer 7 page appears.
- In the Create Your Own section, enter the URL of the search result in your favorite search engine for the search term 'TEST', as described online.
- Enter a name for this search engine (in our case 'Leo').
- Click Install.
Lo and behold, this stuff really worked...good job, Microsoft!